To make a website accessible through the World Wide Web an individual or an organization need a web hosting service. These services are provided by the Web Hosting companies which feed space on the server leased or owned to be used by clients and to provide internet connectivity. These companies can provide data space and internet connectivity for the servers in the data center, called Hosing and also term as collocation.
Large and well reputed companies need to send numerous e-mails, bulk files, etc. to other sites 24×7. Therefore a permanent connection to the web is a must for them and internet service providers come to the aid. These companies have to use the assist of web host service to deliver the details of their service and goods and facilities online.
Some important web host services are:
- Free hosting: As the name suggests this is a free service provided by different servers with limited benefits. Sometime these services are supported by ads.
- Shared hosting: In this shared hosting environment, hundreds to thousands websites owner shared one server sharing the physical as well as the software applications within the server. All domains shared same server resources under a roof, such as CPU and RAM. This type of hosting is affordable, but a bit slower as the server is being shared by many users. The available features with shared hosting are basic and it is not flexible with updates and software.
- Dedicated hosting: In a dedicated hosting environment, the users have the entire web server only for them and thus they enjoy the privileges of faster performance, as they have all the servers resources entirely. But they have to be responsible for the cost of server operation entirely. It is a good choice for websites that requires a lot of system resources, or that needs a higher level of security.
- Reseller hosting: A client becomes a host by themselves in Reseller Hosting. The client functions for single domains under a combination of the types of host listed, depending upon with whom they are related with as the reseller. Their account may differ tremendously in sizes; may have dedicated server of their own to a collocated server. Various resellers offer services which are identical to their providers hosting plan which is a shared one and deliver technical support by themselves.
- Collocated hosting: The Client will purchase his own service and will have it housed in a web host facility in Collocated Hosting service. He will be the responsible for the server itself and will have full control of the web server.
- Virtual web hosting: The Virtual Web Hosting also termed as Virtual Private Server or the VPS divided server resources in virtual servers, in which resources are allocated but does not reflect underlying hardware directly. VPS allocates resources from a server to various VPSs relationship; however this may be allocated, for many reasons like the capability to move VPS containers between servers. In their own space, the users have the root access. It is the responsibility for the customers for maintaining and patching the servers.